Sexual Abuse Lawyers Serving Pembroke Pines

Why should I care about sex abuse Claims as a Pembroke Pines resident? Aside from being generally the right thing to do, as a resident of Pembroke Pines, there are plenty of reasons why you should care about filing a sex abuse claim.

For one, it can prevent future sex abuse and abuse by holding those responsible accountable and ensuring that they face the consequences of their actions. By doing so, other abusers will think twice before acting as they know there are repercussions that they will face.

Additionally, filing a sex abuse claim can help make sure other victims of sexual abuse know that they have rights and that justice can be done. This can help empower victims to speak up and get the justice they deserve instead of remaining silent and afraid.

Filing a sex abuse claim can also help bring to the forefront the devastating impacts of these cases and sexual violence. By doing so, society can take action to fight against these issues more directly.

I Never Submitted a Police Report. How Can I Prove This Happened?

If you haven't reported the sexual abuse to law enforcement, you may wonder how you can prove it happened without a police report. Don't worry; there are still ways to prove your claim.

First, try gathering evidence from witnesses who were present at the time you were abused. Witnesses could include family members, classmates, coworkers, or friends who could corroborate your story and serve as valuable evidence.

Next, consider gathering medical records. If you sought medical treatment due to the abuse or assault, these records can offer important evidence to include in your claim.

If there are no witnesses or medical records available that can prove the sexual abuse happened, there can still be other forms of evidence to support your claim. These could include emails or text messages from the abuser that discuss the incident or apologize for their behavior. This evidence could give the court more insight into what happened and help support your case.

I'm Worried I Stayed Quiet for Too Long. Is It Too Late?

No, it's not too late to file a sex abuse claim in Florida. The statute of limitations protects you. The laws vary between different states, but in Florida, the statute of limitations allows victims of sexual abuse to bring a civil action against the perpetrator within seven years after they reach the age of majority (18) or within four years after discovering evidence of personal injury caused by sexual abuse.

You may think it's too late to file your claim because you think too much time has passed since the incident occurred. However, you should know that this is not necessarily true – and understanding your time limits can make all the difference for your case.

That being said, if the accused person is in a position of authority over you (such as a teacher or coach at a school), you must file your claim within two years from when you first discover or should have reasonably discovered the connection between your injury and the sexual abuse.

Remember: it is never too late to fight for justice and ensure that perpetrators are held accountable for their actions – no matter how long ago they occurred.

The Person at Fault Is Still Alive (And Maybe Even Involved in The Organization). Do I Have to Face Them?

It's a tough call, but if the person who perpetrated the abuse is still active in the organization, you may have to face them directly during the legal process. If you're considering filing a sex abuse claim in Florida, you must be prepared for difficult court sessions and hearings.

It can be especially hard if the person is in a position of power—such as a boss or CEO—or is well-respected. But discussing the issue with family or even a therapist can help you decide if it's something you're ready to do.

Steps To Take Before Filing a Claim

When deciding whether or not to take action against your abuser, here are some steps to take:

  • Consult an attorney about your legal rights and chances of success with your case.
  • Consider any healing processes, such as therapy or support groups, that may help you prepare for any challenging experiences associated with filing a claim.
  • Speak with family members who can provide emotional support as you move through the process.
  • Create a safety plan if emotions become too much during court dates, interviews, etc.
  • Research organizations that provide financial assistance to victims filing civil claims.
  • Stay connected to friends and loved ones who can continue supporting you.
What Is the Difference Between a Criminal Proceeding and A Civil Action?

You're probably wondering by now, what is the difference between a criminal proceeding and a civil action? Well, it's important to understand the distinction between these two types of cases. A criminal proceeding typically begins when police or prosecutors charge someone with a crime. If they reach a guilty verdict, the defendant may then face sentencing.

In contrast, civil action is the legal process used to seek damages from a wrongdoer who has caused harm. It is important to note that in a civil action, you are not seeking an incarceration sentence, nor do you have to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Rather, your goal is to hold the perpetrator liable and seek compensation for any suffering inflicted upon you and your losses due to the abuse.

Here are some key things about civil actions to be aware of:
  • A civil case does not have to wait for a criminal conviction before it can be filed; however, if there is an ongoing criminal case against the defendant, any pending civil action may need to wait until after the criminal case concludes for justice to be served.
  • A civil suit allows you to seek financial compensation from a wrongdoer if they do not have sufficient assets or other financial resources available to pay damages through settlement or judgment.
  • In some cases, you may be able to file for punitive damages or seek relief outside of financial restitution—such as injunctive relief (i.e., requiring someone to take specific actions).
Can I Remain Anonymous?

If you are a victim of sexual abuse, you may want to remain anonymous for various reasons. The good news is that laws in Florida provide certain protections to victims who file a claim anonymously.

That said, remaining anonymous throughout the process may not always be possible. You may be asked to identify yourself as part of a criminal investigation or civil lawsuit. However, if your goal is to remain anonymous during your filing or when testifying in court, there are steps you can take:

  • Speak with an attorney: An experienced attorney can help you understand your rights and the measures to be taken if you wish to remain anonymous.
  • File a John Doe claim: This allows victims of sexual abuse to file an anonymous civil lawsuit against the perpetrator. All filings in "John Doe" cases will use a fictional name to protect the plaintiff's identity.
  • Ask for a Protective Order from the Court: This helps protect your privacy and prevents the information from being disclosed that could identify you as the victim or witness involved in any legal action.

Filing for a sex abuse claim can be intimidating and make people feel vulnerable, so it's important to know your rights before taking legal action. Understanding how anonymity works throughout the process can help give victims peace of mind that their identity will remain protected throughout their case.

Can I Start a Civil Action If Criminal Charges Have Already Been Laid Against My Perpetrator?

The answer to this question depends on the outcome of the criminal charges. If your perpetrator is convicted, in most cases, you can start a civil action regardless of the sentence. This means you can file a suit even if your perpetrator was given a suspended sentence, fined, or otherwise had penalties that didn't involve jail time.

But if your perpetrator is acquitted or charges are dismissed due to insufficient evidence, you may still be able to start a civil action depending on the circumstances. Civil cases have a lower burden of proof than criminal cases, so even lacking criminal charge evidence, it might be possible to provide enough evidence for your claim in civil court.

In either case, though, civil actions should be taken as soon as possible after you become aware of any incidents of abuse. In Florida specifically, you have up to seven years to file a civil lawsuit after the incident occurred; any longer than seven years and it will be barred by statute (presented circumstances notwithstanding).

So, while it's possible to file a sex abuse claim even after criminal charges have been laid against your perpetrator – especially if they were acquitted – it's best to take action as soon as you can and speak with an attorney experienced in filing such claims.

Can I Sue Friends and Family in A Sex Abuse Claim?

The short answer is yes, you can sue friends and family in a sex abuse claim in Florida. However, the process can be complex, and it's important to understand the implications before taking action.

Suing someone for sexual abuse is a civil suit, which means that you're seeking financial compensation for damages caused by the abuser. Depending on your circumstances, this could include medical bills, pain, suffering, lost wages due to medical or therapeutic treatment, or even punitive damages to punish the offender if applicable.

Before filing a sex abuse claim against a friend or family member in Florida, it's important to understand your legal rights and responsibilities, such as timelines and statute limitations for filing sexual abuse claims in Florida.

Additionally, it's highly recommended that you get expert legal advice from an experienced local attorney before taking any action—this will help ensure that your interests are fully represented throughout the process of seeking justice.

Can I claim compensation if I Don't Live in Florida?

The good news is that you can claim compensation regardless of living in Florida. If you were a victim of sexual abuse and it happened in the state of Florida, you are entitled to take legal action. You can still file your claim and seek justice if you live in a different state or country.

It is important to note that the limitations period for filing an action will be determined based on the state's laws where the incident occurred, which means that if the abuse happened more than seven years ago, you might not be able to pursue a claim.

However, certain exceptions may exist depending on the circumstances where this period could be extended. It is best to consult an experienced attorney for advice on your situation.

In addition, if your abuser resides in another state or country other than Florida, trying to bring them to justice may be more difficult, and several factors would need to be considered. However, with the help of a skilled attorney, you can rest assured that every legal recourse available will be explored to seek justice for yourself or your loved one.

Can I Make a Claim for Compensation If the Abuser Doesn't Live in Florida?

Even if the abuser doesn't live in Florida, you can still claim compensation. You can file a lawsuit against the abuser and any other parties responsible, such as employers or organizations that enabled or facilitated the abuse.

Of course, suing an out-of-state defendant is often trickier than suing someone who lives in Florida. Depending on which state the defendant lives in, there may be different laws and procedures that you'll need to abide by. For this reason, you may want to consult with an experienced attorney familiar with Florida and the law of your potential defendant's state.

When filing a claim against an out-of-state party, it's important that you pay special attention to all deadlines for filing your claim. This is because statute limitations vary in each state and can be shorter than in Florida. Your attorney will help ensure your case is filed on time, so you don't miss out on asserting your rights.

Can I Make a Claim If the Abuser Hasn't Been Found Guilty or Convicted?

Yes, you can make a claim even if the abuser hasn't been found guilty or convicted. This is because you can make a claim in Florida based on "grounds of reasonable suspicion." This means it is reasonable to believe the abuser has committed an illegal act, even though there has been no conviction.

It's important to remember that civil court proceedings differ from criminal court proceedings and have different standards of proof. In a civil case, you only need to provide enough evidence for a jury to conclude that your claims are reasonably true.

When considering filing a claim based on "grounds of reasonable suspicion," it's important to consult with an experienced attorney who can help you assess the strength of your case and decide if you have enough evidence for the court to make a ruling in your favor.

What Does the Court Process Look Like?

If you file a sex abuse claim in Florida, it's important to understand the court process involved. Depending on the severity of the case, the court process can take a few months or even years.

Pre-Trial Preparations
First of all, you and your legal team will prepare for trial. This includes preparing your case and gathering evidence from you and other witnesses or experts. You'll also devise a strategy with your lawyer to present your case in court.

Scheduling Hearings
Once you've prepared for trial, the court will schedule a series of hearings—usually two or three—to hear both sides of the story and determine if there is enough evidence to proceed to trial.

The Trial Itself
If the judge decides there is enough evidence after the hearing process, then it's time for the trial itself. During this time, both parties present their case before a judge and use any evidence they have collected. Witnesses may also be asked to testify to relay pertinent information about the incident.

The trial usually closes with closing statements and typically proceeds one of two ways: by jury decision (if requested) or by a ruling from the judge. Once that ruling is made, it cannot be reversed unless new evidence proves otherwise.

Contact Frankl Kominsky, Lawyers Serving Pembroke Pines

If you or a loved one have experienced sexual abuse in Florida, you may want to consider filing a claim and seeking legal guidance. Frankl Kominsky Lawyers Serving Pembroke Pines can help with this process.

Our firm specializes in sexual abuse cases and is dedicated to helping victims navigate the legal process and obtain the justice they deserve. They provide aggressive, compassionate representation and strive to ensure that their clients receive the best possible outcome in their cases.

Frankl Kominsky, lawyers serving Pembroke Pines, offers a free consultation to discuss your case and review your options. At this meeting, our attorneys can advise on making a claim and help determine if there is a viable option for taking legal action against the perpetrator or other responsible parties.

Contact us today at (561) 800-8000 for more information about filing a sex abuse claim in Florida, and let us help you start the journey toward seeking justice for this crime committed against you or your loved one.

Client Reviews
I have had experience in the past using other attorneys and law firms however the attorneys and staff at Frankl Kominsky are by far the best experience I have ever had. Thank you for everything this law firm has done. I recommend this law firm to everyone. By Bruce
This was an amazing injury law firm. Steven and his staff was available when I needed him and were always following up with me. I felt very fortunate that I found them. It is true that this law firm will never settle for less! I fully recommend this law firm to anyone that needs a hardworking and results oriented law firm. By Consuelo
Mr. Frankl came very highly recommended by two separate peers. I had a handful of lawyers to choose from and I chose him. He moved quick, no nonsense, and very effective. Before I knew it everything was handled and I had a serious burden lifted. If I ever have a problem again, I am going straight to him. It is that simple. By Kelly
I called Mr. Frankl and his firm about a motorcycle accident case and he helped me through the entire process. Mr. Frankl made me feel like my situation mattered to him and didn't treatment me like just another file in a file cabinet. He is smart, energetic and a true fighter. I am glad to call him my lawyer and I highly recommend Frankl Kominsky for your personal injury case. By A Personal Injury Client
Mr. Frankl was such an asset to have on my team while I picked up the pieces following an accident. Right from the beginning he assisted handling the insurance companies, rental car companies, auto body shops, police reports, it was incredible. His guidance allowed me to focus on the most important thing and that was my medical condition & recovery. Should you find yourself in this unfortunate situation do yourself a favor & trust this man & his expertise. By Damon