Pompano Beach Slip and Fall Lawyer
A slip and fall or trip and fall is a premises liability claim that arises when an object or hazardous condition on a premises causes a person to fall. The fall then results in injuries, and sometimes, death. This opens the property owner to a personal injury claim.
Filing an injury claim for a slip and fall accident will benefit from the expertise of a Pompano Beach slip & fall lawyer. Our lawyers at Frankl Kominsky Injury Lawyers are experts in handling cases of this nature. We have helped many victims successfully seek fair compensation from negligent premises owners. We could be your best option if you hope to seek financial compensation for your injuries.
In the United States, falls account for over 8 million hospital emergency room visits, representing the leading cause of visits (21.3%). Slips and falls account for over 1 million visits or 12% of total falls. What causes people to trip and fall? We discuss some of the common causes below.Wet and Uneven Surfaces
Globally, wet and uneven surfaces are the leading cause of slip and fall accidents. Common examples of what makes a floor uneven and/or wet are:
- Loose mats
- Cluttered floors
- Loose floorboards
- Moisture collection
- Parking lot potholes
- Torn carpeting
- Defective sidewalks
- Poorly constructed staircases
- Recently waxed or mopped floors
These factors are common in homes, business locations, and public places. Preventing them is the responsibility of the premises owner. If they fail to do so, there’ll be a valid premises liability claim against them.Weather Conditions
There are many slip and fall accidents during the rainy months in Pompano Beach. This is because rain makes the ground slippery and dangerous. Tripping and falling are preventable occurrences if property owners maintain their premises and promptly fix situations of wet surfaces. Failing to do so opens them to liability if someone falls and suffers an injury.Environmental Conditions
The following environmental conditions cause slip and fall accidents in Pompano Beach, Florida:
- Trash or debris on the floor
- Open drawers or cabinet
- Cord across a walkway
- Poor or inadequate lighting
- Bright lighting that causes a glare on shiny floor surfaces
- Floor transitions (going from one flooring material to another)
Property owners, especially business owners, can prevent this by taking safety measures. This includes removing all obstacles from walkways, using proper lighting, etc.Unsafe Ladders and Stairs
Ladders and stairs would be said to be hazardous and cause a slip and fall accident in the following situations:
- Lack of handrails for stairs
- Worn or warped steps
- Debris or trash on stairs
- Waxed or polished stairs with non-skid surfaces
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one out of five falls causes serious injuries such as broken bones or a head injury. Below, Pompano Beach slip & fall injury lawyers discuss common injuries suffered in trip and fall accidents.Broken Bones
When the body receives more pressure than it can withstand, it leads to a bone break. Usually, a broken bone after a fall affects the body part that receives the most force. Suppose a person falls and lands on their hands, they may fracture the arm or wrist bone. However, note that age also plays a role in whether or not a person suffers this wound. The CDC notes that three million older people are treated for fall injuries yearly in emergency departments.Soft Tissue Injuries
A soft tissue injury is not visible outwardly. Common wounds under this kind of injury are ankle and wrist sprains as well as tears in ligaments and tendons. Keep in mind that if untreated, soft tissue injuries may lead to chronic pain and result in another injury. Slip and fall accident victims must ensure they seek medical attention. The proof of medical treatment will help when seeking compensation.Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
A bad fall may cause a person to hit their head hard on the floor or a harmful object, resulting in a traumatic brain injury. TBIs could be minor, such as small concussions, bumps, and bruises, or major injuries such as skull fractures, hematomas, or subarachnoid hemorrhage.Hip Fractures
The CDC notes that more than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling, usually by falling sideways. Hip fractures often need surgery to correct, and elderly victims may need extensive rehabilitation in a nursing home.Back and Spinal Cord Injuries
A person may suffer fractured vertebrae or a herniated disc, depending on the fall. This causes significant pain and may affect mobility if the injury causes permanent paralysis, temporary paralysis, or other neurological and sensory impairments.
Other common injuries suffered by slip and fall accident victims in Pompano Beach, Florida, include sprained ankles or wrists, cuts and abrasions, shoulder or neck injury, and knee damage. Our Pompano Beach slip & fall injury lawyers will help you seek compensation for all of these injuries.What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident?
Following a slip and fall accident, the victim should always:
- Seek Medical Treatment: Getting medical treatment after a slip and fall accident is crucial to deal with any physical or underlying injury. This reduces the risk of death and other adverse complications. Again, the medical record is a piece of crucial evidence when seeking compensation.
- Report the Accident: A property owner can deny the slip and fall accident that occurred if there’s no official report. Thus, make a report immediately after the occurrence to the proper authority. The report may go to a manager, business owner, or landlord, depending on where the accident happened.
- Document Everything: We always advise slip and fall injury victims to document the moments before and after the accident. This entails obtaining witnesses’ names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses. In addition, photos and video footage of the accident scene, the exact location, and the clothing worn during the incident are vital.
- Avoid Giving Statements: Property owners will do all they can to avoid liability, so limit communicating with them. In addition, don’t post anything about the injury on social media or speak to insurance adjusters without an attorney. In summary, don’t accept blame and don’t place it on anyone.
- Contact a Pompano Beach Slip & Fall Accident Lawyer.
Trip and fall cases fall under personal injury law. As such, victims who slip and fall on a negligent property owner’s premises may be entitled to receive economic damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages.
Economic Damages refers to the tangible losses with a fixed dollar amount. They usually cover medical bills, lost wages, property damage, transportation costs, rehabilitation costs, etc. Where the slip and fall victim dies, this compensation covers funeral and burial expenses.
Non-Economic Damages are intangible losses with no fixed dollar amount. They cover emotional injuries such as mental anguish. They also cover loss of companionship, physical pain and suffering, loss of consortium, etc.
Punitive Damages are not compensatory but are awarded by the court to punish the defendant and serve as a deterrent to other parties. Victims must request punitive damages before the court grants it, and the case facts determine if it's possible.How Is Fault Proven in Slip and Fall Accident Case?
A victim who wishes to prove the fault of the premises owner must establish the four elements of negligence. They include that:
- The property owner owed a duty of care to lawful visitors on their premises
- The premises owner breached the duty of care
- The breached duty caused the injury suffered
- The victim suffered damages as a result
Injury victims are often reluctant to hire an attorney. However, this should not be the case as lawyers are there to help victims seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Below, we discuss three reasons victims should hire a Pompano Beach slip & fall attorney.
- Proving Liability: A lawyer helps to show the property owner’s liability. We will look at the evidence and determine whether it was your negligence that caused you to trip or if it was the negligence of the premises owner.
- Gather Evidence and Talk to Witnesses: Lawyers gather all the evidence needed to prove a claim. We will communicate with witnesses, request video footage of the area where you slipped and fell, and gather any other proof needed to win. If the property owner has a history of slip and fall incidents, we will also prove it.
- Deal with Attorneys and Courts: We also negotiate with the property owner’s attorneys and represent you in court. The latter only happens when you do not agree with the settlement offer made by the other party. We will handle the appeal process if the trial court does not rule in your favor, and you decide to appeal.
Suppose you were injured while lawfully on a property. You deserve compensation from the negligent premises owner. Our attorneys at Frankl Kominsky Injury Lawyers have years of experience handling cases such as these and will help you seek the maximum compensation for your injuries. Contact us today at (561) 800-8000 to schedule a free case review with one of our attorneys.