Florida Medpay Coverage Lawyer
As a driver, you face many risks each and every time you step into your car. It is stressful and overwhelming to think about all the things that can go wrong while you are on the road, as well as how expensive paying for injuries or damages can be. Expanding your insurance coverage could give you the peace of mind you need to know that you will always be covered no matter the situation.What is MedPay or Medical Payment Coverage
In the state of Florida, it is required for all drivers to have a minimum of $10,000 of Personal Injury Protection insurance coverage. This coverage goes to paying 80 percent of any medical bills that arise due to an injury from a car accident. The remaining 20 percent is left for you to pay out of pocket. But what happens if you can’t afford to pay 20 percent of your medical bills?
There is an elective type of insurance called MedPay, or Medical Payment Coverage, that may cover the entirety of your medical bills from a car accident injury. Medical Payment coverage ensures that all of your medical bills are paid up to the maximum limit of your coverage. For example, if you add $10,000 of MedPay coverage to your insurance plan, you will have $20,000 worth of coverage for your medical bills ($10,000 in PIP, $10,000 in MedPay). This means that any medical bills up to $20,000 will be covered.How Does MedPay Coverage Work?
There are basically two ways that Medical Payment Coverage works. The first is through direct reimbursement as primary coverage. The second way that Medical Payment Coverage is offered is as a supplement to your existing health insurance coverage. The best choice for you depends on your home and auto insurance policies, and whether or not you live in a no-fault state (Florida is a no-fault state, for your reference).
When figuring out which of your insurance coverages would pay out first, it is important to consult the wording on your policies. Read each of your insurance policies carefully to figure out which policy would provide the first amount of coverage for your bills. While you think it would be standard, there are some differences between insurance companies and which insurance would pay out first in which situation.
If you are confused about all of your conflicting insurance policies and need help understanding your coverage for a car accident injury, call the lawyers at Frankl & Kominsky. We can take a look at your policies and let you know who will pay out first and what your exact amount of coverage really is.
Call 855-800-8000 for a free consultation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with an experienced car accident lawyer. If you are in the hospital because of your injuries, we are available to come to you so that you can speak with someone face to face.Florida Car Accidents: What does MedPay Cover?
When it comes to the mandatory Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, it is extensive, and very helpful, but it is not full coverage. As previously stated, PIP insurance pays for 80 percent of your medical bills that arise from being injured in a car crash in Florida. It is possible to obtain further coverage for the remaining 20 percent of your medical bills from Medical Payment coverage, or MedPay.
MedPay offers further coverage of the 20 percent of bills not covered by PIP, plus a potential additional coverage after PIP’s $10,000 limit is reached. MedPay is only intended for medical expenses, as its name suggests. While it does not cover any damage done to your vehicle, it does cover expenses from hospital stays, ambulance rides, emergency medical care, doctor’s visits, rehabilitation, and even medication.
In the event that the accident is fatal, MedPay may cover additional funeral and burial expenses on top of the $5,000 that Personal Injury Protection provides. Many times, $5,000 is not enough to cover the total amount of funeral or burial expenses, and the loved ones of the deceased are left struggling to pay for the difference. This extra coverage can give your family a small amount of peace and relief while they are already dealing with considerable grief from loss.Who Does MedPay Cover?
When you purchase MedPay coverage for yourself, you are covered regardless of whether or not you were the driver or passenger in a vehicle. You do not even have to own the vehicle that you are riding in to receive MedPay coverage. Also, if you are driving and you have MedPay coverage, the passengers riding in your vehicle are covered by the MedPay that applies to the car that they are riding in. In many cases, you also have the ability to add MedPay insurance that covers your benefits if you are injured by a vehicle while walking or even riding your bike.How Much Does MedPay Cost?
While you may be hesitant to add an extra expense to your car insurance bill each month, keep in mind how inexpensive MedPay cost is for the benefits that it provides. More often than not, the premium for MedPay is such a small amount, many times less than $20 per year for up to $10,000 in coverage. Split over a year's worth of insurance payments However, it has the potential to truly save you from paying thousands of dollars in unforeseen medical bills.
Also, another benefit to MedPay coverage is that there is no deductible or co-pay. There is no set amount of money that you have to pay before benefits will kick in. This means that you truly have nothing to pay out of pocket with MedPay. How many types of insurance can say that?
Keep in mind that different insurance companies have different premiums, and the price you will pay for MedPay yearly will fluctuate depending on the state in which you live, the other auto insurance you have, and your driving history. So above, when it mentions that a year of MedPay will likely be “less than $20,” that is based off of an average cost, and is not an exact figure.
If you would like to know what your premium will be to add MedPay to your insurance plan, call your insurance company. They can go over all the different plans with you and help you find the right coverage that fits your budget. Even if you think you can’t afford to add coverage to your plan, call anyway. You will be surprised to hear how inexpensive it can be to add.How Much MedPay Coverage Should I Get?
When it comes to choosing how much MedPay coverage you should purchase, it really depends on the rest of the insurance coverage that you already have. In the state of Florida, Personal Injury Protection insurance is required, so you will automatically have the coverage that it provides, which is a minimum of $10,000.
You must keep in mind, when making your decision, that your Personal Injury Protection insurance will only pay 80 percent of your medical bills up to the limit of your coverage. MedPay will then kick in to pay the remaining 20 percent of your bills, plus any expense that goes beyond your PIP limit.
When making your decision, it is important to also consider how much you are able, or willing, to pay per month for your coverage. It may be inconvenient to make your insurance premiums more expensive each month, but it will be even more inconvenient having to pay thousands of dollars to cover car repairs or medical expenses. In the end, make sure that you are comfortable with what you will have to pay after your PIP and MedPay have been exhausted. While MedPay costs will differ from insurance company to insurance company, the most common limits for MedPay benefits are $1,000, $2,000, $5,000, $10,000, and $25,000. The higher your MedPay limit, the more you will have to pay annually for your coverage.Is MedPay Insurance Worth Purchasing?
In the state of Florida, it is required that each and every driver have at least $10,000 of Personal Injury Protection insurance coverage. Is it really necessary to add MedPay coverage on top of that?
Unfortunately, the answer to this question is a little more complicated than a simple yes or no. For some people, MedPay may not be worth it. Some individuals have outstanding auto insurance coverage for both property damage and bodily injury and may not benefit greatly from MedPay coverage. Others may be stuck in a high deductible plan or have no personal health insurance at all to defray costs. In situations like this, the small cost of MedPay would likely be a blessing.
In recent years, MedPay has grown more and more popular as an add-on to auto insurance plans. This is most likely correlated with the fact that health insurance premiums and deductibles have been rising dramatically.
In the end, many people are finding the small annual fee of MedPay to be worth it for the potential benefits it could bring. It also is worth it for the peace of mind of knowing that you will be covered in case of a serious injury. Also, if you ask a professional who deals with car accidents and insurance benefits frequently, they will most likely tell you that, yes, MedPay or UM coverage, or both, are worth the extra monthly fee.Do I Have to Visit My Primary Care Physician In Order to Get MedPay Benefits?
A very big positive that MedPay provides is that you are not required to meet with your Primary Care Physician in order to receive payment. MedPay will pay for bills from chiropractors, specialists, physical therapists, and for medications you need pertaining to your injury or recovery.MedPay Insurance vs. Uninsured Motorist Coverage
If you have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage, do you need MedPay? Let’s compare both types of insurance and the coverage that they provide.
Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage is used specifically when the other person is at fault for the accident and they are either uninsured or underinsured. While being an uninsured driver is illegal, one in eight drivers in the state of Florida are uninsured. To be underinsured basically means that a person’s bodily injury limits are too low to cover all of the medical expenses that you incur. UM insurance is not required in the state of Florida, so it is an optional add-on to your regular auto insurance coverage plan.
As stated above, MedPay is coverage that you add to your auto insurance plan that covers the 20 percent of medical bills that PIP does not pay for. It also pays for any additional medical bill costs after your PIP insurance coverage maximum is exhausted.Which Coverage Should I Get?
When it comes to choosing between MedPay or Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage, it really comes down to what your other insurance plans, like your health insurance plan and your regular car insurance plans, cover. If you have a great health insurance plan, and a high amount of PIP coverage, then it may be more beneficial to go with UM coverage. On the contrary, if your health insurance is lacking and you only have the minimum PIP coverage, then MedPay may be the way for you to go. If your regular car insurance plan is not very strong, then it may also be beneficial to add UM coverage to your plan for extra protection for your vehicle. When making the decision between MedPay and UM, take the time to assess your entire amount of coverage from all angles to see where you are lacking. The best way to do this is to make a chart listing all of the types of insurance you have and the things that they cover. This includes health insurance, auto insurance, and even home or renter’s insurance. Approaching it from this way should expose any gaps you have in your policy and show you where you need to add insurance coverage.
It is important to consider purchasing both types of insurance, however. If you can afford it, having both types of insurance will make sure you are fully covered in any accident situation, both for bodily injuries and for property damages. Both types of insurance are inexpensive. The additional yearly cost, split over your monthly insurance bill, will hardly be noticeable and will give you coverage for almost every situation you can think of.Health Insurance vs. MedPay
You may be thinking about how your regular health insurance and MedPay coverage work together. In reality, they tend to overlap slightly depending on your coverage. Both types of insurance coverage are types of health insurance that pay towards testing, surgery, and other types of medical coverage. These types of insurance do not pay for repairs to your damaged vehicle because of a car accident.
Health insurance typically pays for medical expenses related to your general health. It would be a good idea to take a look at your health insurance coverage plan in detail to see what exactly is covered. Some policies cover injuries sustained in a car accident, while others do not. If you are not covered with your health insurance, and you choose to opt out of MedPay coverage, you could be left with out of pocket expenses.
Even if your health insurance does cover injuries sustained in a car accident, you are most likely going to have to shell out money for a copay or deductible of some kind. Depending on your health insurance policy, these expenses could still be great, and an unwelcome surprise. While you may have to pay for deductibles or copays out of pocket, MedPay coverage could even reimburse you for those expenses, leaving you with absolutely no out of pocket payments.Why You Should Speak To A Florida Car Accident Lawyer
If you are involved in a car accident in Florida and need additional medical coverage for bills past your Personal Injury Protection coverage limit, you should consult with an experienced car accident lawyer to represent you. The lawyers at Frankl & Kominsky Injury Lawyers will work hard to review all your insurance coverage and strive to make sure you are getting the maximum amount of compensation for your medical or property damage bills. We are well-versed in all different kinds of insurance coverage and can help you to understand the confusing and long-winded policies.
Call 855-800-8000 for a free consultation with our car accident attorneys We can answer any questions you may have about your insurance coverage and represent you in the event you need to pursue a claim. Avoid navigating the confusing world of auto and health insurance on your own. Talk to a lawyer at Frankl & Kominsky Injury Lawyers who will help explain all your insurance policies and try to get you the compensation you deserve.